Tool Storage Solutions
There’s nothing better than an inexpensive life hack that you can find at your local hardware store. The ever versatile PVC pipe is easy to work with, creating an ideal solution to your tool storage needs.
Create a Drill Dock
Utilize vertical storage while keeping your drill close at hand with a suspended PVC pipe drill dock. Here’s how to make your own:
- 3-inch diameter PVC pipe
- Permanent marker
- Handheld rotary saw
- Screws or zip ties
1. Measure the length of the drill body and the width of the handle.
2. Mark the measurements and cut outs on the PVC pipe.
3. Cut the marked slot in the pipe using a rotary saw.
4. Sand the sharp edges with sandpaper.
5. Drill two holes in the top of the pipe and fasten to the underside of a wooden shelf or board with at least two screws, or use zip ties to attach to a wire shelf.
A Clean Sweep
Keep mops, brooms, fishing rods and other long, skinny items out of the way and safely stored with PVC pipes.
- 3-5-inch diameter PVC pipe
- 2-inch screws
- Circular or handsaw
1. Using a circular or hand saw, cut the PVC pipe into 6-inch sections. Optional: Angle the cuts toward the middle of the section to leave the back of the pipe exposed for easier drilling.
2. Drill two peep holes into each pipe section.
3. Attach pipes vertically to the wall of your garage, or studs if unfinished, with 2” screws in the peep holes as a wall mount.
Storing your handsaw with a cover goes a long way toward preventing rust and keeping the blades sharp. Prolong the life of saw blades – and stay safe in your workspace – with a short section of PVC pipe.
- 1/2-inch diameter PVC pipe
- Vise jaws
- Handheld power saw
1. Measure the length of your handsaw blade and cut the 1/2-inch diameter PVC pipe to size.
2. Hold the pipe tight against slightly opened vise jaws, and create a slit down the length of the pipe using a power saw (it’s a tricky cut – be sure you don’t saw through to the other side).
3. Slide the PVC pipe over the handsaw blade to keep it sharp and protected.
The best tool storage solutions organize your items, open up your workspace and protect you in between projects. And, if they’re inexpensive, as is the case with PVC pipe, then it’s a win all the way around!